Thursday 4 August 2016

THE GIRL CHILD




They all decided to kill her
and she had yet to take her first breath
for she was guilty of being a girl 
so they sentenced her to death
But luck was on her side 
It’s too late, the doctor said
they took it in their stride
Deciding to let her live instead.
This is how she came to this world
God and luck had to play a part
but with time everything changed 
with her innocent smile she won their heart
Our little girl happily blossomed
in all their love and affection
Things were fine until the day
her brother came to get all attention
Everyone doted on him
and he was spoilt rotten
He got the best toys and games
While she was always forgotten
Our girl accepted the new equation 
that she was less than her brother 
but with her grit and determination 
she marched ahead without any bother.
She passed school in flying colours 
and wanted to study to be a doctor 
but brother education was more important 
Her ambition remained a mirage and mocked her.
In the college too she excelled
but before she could wear the graduation gown
she was by her family compelled 
To get married and settle down
So our not so little girl now 
had her own family to look after
she charmed her way in their hearts too
Her home reverberated with love and laughter
Soon there was good news in family
A flower was about to bloom
though it made her look ungainly
She fell in love with bud in her womb
Mother in law was over the moon
the father in law too was the same
an heir was to be born soon
He will carry on the family name
I will play cricket and football with my son
Proud would be father let everyone know
He will be an engineer and join my business 
my footsteps my son will follow
Her heart was filled with dread
when all their plans she did hear.
What if it’s a girl instead?
Her doubt she had to clear
Oh no, the first born cannot be a girl
They all very clearly said
Daughter after the son is all right
After all, we are broad minded
So if it's a girl you have to get rid
before it's too late to do so.
First born a daughter, we forbid
this we would like you to know.
Hearing this the would be mother 
Felt a rage fierce and wild
How can I with my own hands smother
the life out of my child?
As a daughter, sister and wife
Hundreds compromises I did make
but for once for my unborn child
the entire world I will forsake
My child is my flesh and blood
whatever be its gender
Nine months in my womb I will carry
to your pressure I will not surrender.
And because you cannot understand this
nothing from you I do expect
and I cannot live in a family
where for a woman there is no respect
You call her Durga, Kali and Laxmi
You give her a revered name
but if she is born in your family 
why does she bring you shame?
Girl or a boy is mine to keep now
in my child you have no more stake
I refuse even to find out the sex
this decision is entirely mine to make
With her head held high she walked out of house
Leaving all that was hers, behind
The child in the womb she did take with her
And the new found purpose in her mind.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment