Friday 18 November 2016

MA






















I remember that lady of my childhood 
The lady I called MA
For me she was the fulcrum 

My world revolved around her and papa
Papa seemed tough and stern then
But she was as soft as butter
Hint of a tear in our eyes would melt her
Before any word we could utter.
Her deeds big and small, we took for granted 
I never wondered from where she could find,
The powerhouse of energy she always had
Like a watch that would never unwind.
Her day would start at the break of dawn
Preparing meals for the four children she had 
She fed, clothed and sent them off to school 
Anyone else would have gone mad.
You would think that her chore would be over 
But now her day would just start.
There were no maids to assist her
She would alone play all everyone's part.
She would become the cleaner and clean the house 
She would become the chef and cook food.
She would be tailor to sew the torn dresses 
She would be a mother hen if any of us would brood
But she barely had time for all this 
To her own school she would rush.
She was a teacher in a nearby school
In a colony that was not so plush.
She would return in the afternoon from her school 
And she would rush to finish all to be done.
She would be fresh and all smiles when we returned
For in a short while again,she would be gone.
This was something close to her heart
She had enrolled herself in postgrad class.
With a household to run and four children 
Still with flying colors she did pass.
All children were close to her heart
But a fact we all did know 
our brother , the youngest was the apple of her eye
Though never did she let it show.
When I think of that lady, full of life and energy
My heart is filed with awe and respect.
She did all she could and much more 
Never did she anything in return expect.
As I look at her now I wonder
Where has all the energy gone?
This frail looking old woman 
Is not the lady we have known.
I wish I become like she was 
So my children would later say

Our mom was full of energy 
We too should be like her one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment